American Food Vegetarian is one of the most popular cuisines for people who love food.
Avoiding meat doesn’t mean avoiding flavorful food, especially when it comes to American cuisine.
Although it is not traditional for all American meals to be vegetarian, it is definitely possible to make delicious and culturally inspired dishes without any animal proteins.
Here are some of the top American vegetarian dishes worth trying.
Macaroni and Cheese
No American food list would be complete without the classic comfort food, Mac and Cheese.
This traditional dish is extremely versatile and can be made in a variety of ways depending on the occasion or person.
Most recipes use a creamy cheese sauce mixed with elbow macaroni, but one can also mix in veggies and/or different types of cheese to make it a hearty meal or even a spectacular appetizer.
Chili is a popular dish across the United States, ranging from New England and Texas-style to the increasingly popular vegetarian version.
Traditional chili is usually made with ground beef and lots of chilies and spices, but vegetarian versions can be made even more flavorful by adding beans, peppers, corn, and even sweet potatoes.
Top this hearty chili dish off with a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt and a sprinkle of cheese.
Veggie Burgers (American Food Vegetarian)
Veggie burgers are a great way to get your burger fixed without having to resort to the traditional beef patty.
In most cases, veggie burgers are made with beans and other vegetables, giving them more flavor than regular burgers.
Try topping your veggie burger with lettuce, tomato, onions, pickles, mustard, and vegan mayo for an explosion of flavors.
Key Lime Pie
This traditional American dessert is tart, sweet and creamy all in one bite.
Key limes are typically used to make this dish, but for an even brighter flavor, you can use other citrus fruits like oranges and tangerines.
This dish is usually served without a crust, but you can also use a graham cracker or cookie crumb crust as a base.
Toppings and Accompaniments
Just because there is no meat, doesn’t mean you can’t add toppings or accompaniments to your vegetarian dishes.
Here are some popular toppings and accompaniments to add flavor to your American-style vegetarian dishes:
- Cheese – Cheddar, cream cheese, feta, Parmesan, etc.
- Beans – kidney, black, garbanzo, etc.
- Nuts – peanuts, walnuts, almonds, etc.
- Spices – cumin, paprika, coriander, chili powder, etc.
- Herbs – basil, oregano, rosemary, etc.
- Fruits – apples, peaches, pears, etc.
- Vegetables– onions, peppers, mushrooms, etc.
Vegetarian food doesn’t have to be boring or lacking in flavor. There are plenty of amazing vegetarian options when it comes to American cuisine.
Whether you’re looking for a hearty entree or a light accompaniment, these dishes are sure to make your taste buds happy!
So next time you’re feeling a bit adventurous in the kitchen, try making one of these tasty American-style vegetarian dishes.
Vegan and American Food Restaurants
- Vegetarian or vegan-friendly American food restaurants include
- Cafe Sunflower (Atlanta, GA),
- Veggie Grill (multiple locations in the US),
- Native Foods Cafe (multiple locations in the US),
- Plant Food + Wine (Los Angeles, CA),
- Sutra Vegan Kitchen (Paso Robles, CA),
- Loving Hut (multiple locations in the US),
- Blossoming Lotus (Portland, OR),
- The Spot (multiple locations in the US),
- Granville Cafe (Los Angeles, CA),
- Loving Hut Express (multiple locations in the US),
- and The Candle 79 (New York, NY).
Veg English Dishes
1. Fish and Chips
2. Cornish Pasties
3. Shepherd’s Pie
4. Vegetable Biryani
5. Cottage Pie
6. English Muffins
7. Bubble and Squeak
8. Yorkshire Pudding
9. Toad in the Hole
10. Potato Salad
Best Vegetarian Food in the USA
Here are some of the best American Food Vegetarian Restaurants in the USA:
1. Little Turtle Restaurant (New York City, New York)
2. Kajitsu (New York City, New York)
3. Gracias Madre (Los Angeles, California)
4. Vegetarian House (Las Vegas, Nevada)
5. The Oyster Bar (San Francisco, California)
6. True Food Kitchen (Los Angeles, California)
7. Cafe Gratitude (Los Angeles, California)
8. Candle 79 (New York City, New York)
9. Dirt Candy (New York City, New York)
10. Green Zebra (Chicago, Illinois)