Easy Homemade Biscuits Without Baking Powder are a great way to enjoy a classic treat and don’t require any special ingredients or equipment.
Making biscuits without baking powder may sound intimidating but it’s surprisingly easy!
With a few simple ingredients and a few tips, you can make delicious homemade biscuits, with no baking powder required.
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup cold water
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and sugar.
- Cut the butter into the flour mixture.
- Once the mixture has a crumbly texture, add the cold water and mix until the dough forms a soft ball.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead it a few times to form a smooth dough.
- Roll out the dough to ½ inch thick and cut out rounds with a biscuit cutter.
- Place the biscuits on a greased baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove the biscuits from the oven and serve warm.
- Make sure the butter is cold so that it retains its shape in the dough.
- Be careful not to overwork the dough.
- For extra flavor, add herbs or spices to the dough.
Making delicious and easy homemade biscuits without baking powder is easier than it sounds! These tasty biscuits are perfect for breakfast or a snack and can be served with butter, honey, or jam. Enjoy!
03 Ingredient Biscuit Recipe without Self-Rising Flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into cubes
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the cubed butter to the flour mixture and, using your fingertips or a pastry cutter, work the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.
- Add the buttermilk to the mixture and mix until a dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead a few times until it comes together.
- Roll the dough out to about ¾-inch thickness.
- Cut the biscuits out with a biscuit cutter or a glass and place the biscuits on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until the biscuits are golden brown.
03 Ingredient Biscuits Recipe with all-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Cut in 4 tablespoons of butter, using a pastry blender, until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add about 2/3 cup of milk, mixing until a soft dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead lightly 5 or 6 times.
- Roll or pat dough out to 1/2-inch thick. Cut with a 2-inch biscuit cutter.
- Place on ungreased baking sheets and bake in preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve warm with butter and honey, if desired. Enjoy!
03 Ingredients Biscuits
- Self-raising flour
- Caster sugar
How to make Biscuits without Baking Powder or Baking Soda
You can make biscuits without baking powder or baking soda by using ingredients such as yogurt, sour cream, self-rising flour, or cream-of-tartar-based baking powder.
To make biscuits without baking powder or soda, combine 2 cups flour, 1 teaspoon cream of tartar, and ½ teaspoon salt. Cut in ½ cup butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
In another bowl, stir together 1 cup milk and ½ cup plain yogurt until creamy. Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture, stirring until the dough forms.
Turn onto a lightly floured board, and knead gently. Roll the dough to 1/2 an inch thickness and use a biscuit cutter to shape the biscuits.
Place biscuits on an un-greased baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
Leave a Comment